The Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality has stated that the remediation process for the Eastleigh Spruit has begun.
Also read: Business owners plan to sue EMM
This comes after the Johannesburg High Court ruled in favour of Eastleigh businesses Fluid Power, Propshaft Master and Wieland SA and ordered the EMM to repair the spruit and provide feedback to the businesses.
Also read: High Court rules against EMM in spruit case
Themba Gadebe, the spokesperson of EMM, said the municipality had applied to national government to begin remediation.
He said an application had been necessary as the spruit falls under the jurisdiction of the national department of water and forestry.
“The city is in the process of appointing a service provider to design new banks for the spruit. Once that has been done, repair work will begin,” said Gadebe.
He said repairing the spruit could reduce further flooding if the spruit remains unblocked.
“EMM cannot guarantee that floods won’t occur in future and will continuously monitor the spruit for obstructions,” said Gadebe.
He said culverts and stormwater pipes will be cleaned to reduce flooding.
Following the start of the rainy season, EMM is on high alert to prevent any disaster.
Gadebe said all departments are on high alert and are monitoring statements from the South African Weather Service.
“All departments are ready to play their role in case of an emergency,” said Gadebe.
He said EMM had also provided feedback to two businesses.
Casper Badenhorst, a director at Propshaft Master, said neither of the two businesses had received feedback from the municipality.
The NEWS attempted to obtain further confirmation that EMM had responded to the Eastleigh businesses.
An email was sent to EMM on October 27 at 10.51am requesting confirmation by 3pm, but at the time of going to print, no information had been provided by EMM.