St Margaret’s Anglican Church in Bedfordview has recently bought a historic pipe organ from the parish of St John the Divine in Belgravia.
The organ, which was imported from the UK to Belgravia in 1904, is one of the only two remaining pre-1914 Hele organs in South Africa.
It was donated to St John’s Church in Belgravia by Mr and Mrs A Thrupp in loving memory of their three children, Gracie, Norman and Ellen on November 1, 1904.
Also read: Church hosts festival
As per the request of the Heritage Society of Johannesburg, the original plaque will remain on the organ.
Ian Davies, churchwarden at St Margaret of Scotland Bedfordview, said that this medium-sized organ was dismantled and transported to SA, piece by piece from Belgravia.
Also read: Couple celebrates six decades of memories
It is currently being restored and reconstructed in St Margaret’s Church, under the supervision of Alec Longman, technical director at Cooper, Gill & Tomkins.
It is hoped that the work will be completed by the end of August.
To celebrate the installation of this beautiful organ, internationally renowned organist Gordon Stewart from the UK will give the inaugural recital.
The cost of the purchase, restoration and installation of the organ is being covered by various fund-raising events, one being a Wine and Food Pairing evening to be held at the View Cafe, Bedfordview, at 6.30pm on July 28, featuring Carrie Adams from Classic FM Wines.
Members of the community are invited to attend.
For tickets go to www.stmargarets.org.za