A fire in Klopperpark has left resident Antoinette Dunn feeling frustrated and helpless with the lack of service delivery to the area.
On July 24 a fire burnt part of Dunn’s lapa, photographs and damaged her personal possessions.
The fire which originated from a neighbouring abandoned property spread to Dunn’s property during the afternoon.
A frustrated Klopperpark resident Antoinette Dunn stands in her destroyed lapa which was damaged by a fire from a neighbouring property.
Dunn, a Klopperpark resident of 22 years, believes the fire was started by people burning refuse at the abandoned property.
She said the flames from the burning waste set a palm tree alight and spread to her lapa.
Also read: #SebenzaFire – Emergency services come to the rescue as Sebenza fire blazes through the night
“Luckily I was home. It could have destroyed my house,” said Dunn.
Dunn who had left work earlier to prepare for her wedding anniversary was alerted to the fire by her neighbour.
“At about 4.30pm my neighbours phoned and warned me about the fire,” said Dunn.
“When I rushed out I saw that there were some small flames on the thatch which I was able to put out.”
At 7pm Dunn’s neighbours again alerted her that the lapa was on fire.
Dunn, her husband and the neighbours, attempted to put out the fire.
Antoinette Dunn’s damaged fridge was burnt by fire on July 24. Dunn’s lapa and personal possessions were burnt when her lapa caught fire.
While attempting to extinguishing the flames Dunn phoned 10111 to try to get hold of firefighters.
Each time she was transferred the line dropped.
Also read: Business owner believes Sebenza fire damage could have been less
Dunn said firefighters only arrived on the scene after her neighbours had managed to alert their security company.
Three fire trucks arrived at the scene to extinguish the flames after 8pm.
“The firemen were fantastic and so helpful when they arrived,” said Dunn.
“The service they provided was very professional.”
A fire left destruction in its wake when it burnt down Klopperpark resident Antoinette Dunn’s lapa on July 24.
Dunn said she alerted Ward 92 Clr Tiziana Plakitt to the fire on July 24, but only received a response the next day.
“I feel like nobody cares about this community.”
Like Dunn Plaskitt believes the fire was started at the abandoned property. Plaskitt said the property has been vacant for several years.
“I have conducted numerous site visits with the municipality’s health and accounts department,” said Plaskitt.
“Nothing can be done before we identify who the property owner is.”
Also read: Fire in Morninghill raises questions
She urged community members to report incidents of illegal waste disposal to the municipality.
A request for comment was sent to the City of Ekurhuleni’s Disaster and Emergency Management Services on July 26 requesting comment by 8.30am on July 27.
At the time of going to print no comment had been received.
An additional request for comment was sent to Plaskitt on July 26 requesting comment on Dunn’s concerns.
The comment was requested by July 26 at 3.30pm. At the time of going to print no comment had been received.